Today’s guest on the show is Bobbito Garcia.
What’s up good people this episode is that kicks off to Third Season of the New York Said podcast. We drop a new episode every Tuesday… Lawd so that means this is episode 105. Time is flying and we sincerely appreciate your support on this journey.
Please rate and leave a comment on your podcast app, let us know what you think.
The other day I headed to the Metrograph Theater in the Lower East Side to catch the premiere of Rock Rubber 45s, an autobiographical documentary by Bobbito Garcia aka Kool Bob Love. I’m not a film critic but I will say this, I friggin’ love it. I laughed a lot, had a ton of nostalgic moments plus I learn a ton of stuff about Bob that I did now know.
After the film, Bob and I kicked it for a few but he was gracious to give us access to record the Q&A after the movie.
It’s a documentary so I personally don’t think there are any spoilers or spoiler alerts because it’s info that supports the film. To be honest, it a great Q&A but nothing is going to beat actually seeing the film and listening to the music. Theres is a lot of excellent music in the film, that’s no surprise. It’s Bobbito!
Anyway, I’m outta here… enjoy!
- Bobbito Garcia
- Rock Rubber 45s Documentary
- Rock Rubber 45s Playing at Maysles Cinema Friday, July 6, 2018 7:30 PM thru Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:30 PM
- Nike Zoom Fly Mercurial Flyknit
- Rep Reborn, Downtown: The Story Behind NYC’s Metrograph Theater by Vadim Rizov
- Jake Perlin, Artistic and Programming Director of Metrograph and noted cinephile
- From the Archives: First Person Singular, Autobiography in Film-June 30, 2016 | By David Schwartz
- Autobiographical Film
- Review: ‘Rock Rubber 45s’ Looks in the Mirror to Tell a Life Story By Glenn Kenny
- NYT Critic’s Pick
- Kickstarter for Rock Rubber 45s
- 7th Boro
- Doin’ It In The Park Film
- Kevin Couliau, Director & Photographer
- Stretch and Bobbito Film
- Stretch and Bobbito: Radio That Changed Lives – Trailer – YouTube
- National Public Radio – NPR
- What’s Good with Stretch & Bobbito Podcast 2nd season starts on August 15th
- Stevie Wonder Episode Mentioned– August 30, 2017
- Uncle Drew (2018 Movie) Official Trailer
- Charles Stone III, Director
- The Roots
- Jill Scott– American singer-songwriter
- Rucker Park
- Archival Consultant (an article)
- Blessings of the Universe
- Not getting paid up front.
- Cey Adams
- Cey Adams- Artist (happens to have been a guest of the New York Said Podcast)…here’s the episode
- Janette Beckman – British photographer
- Charlie Ahearn Director
- Charlie Ahearn Biography
- Jamel Shabazz Street Photographer trailer
- Wild Style Movie
- Adobe Premier Pro
- Frame.io: Video Post Production Collaboration Software
- Max (software)
- LaCie: Premium External Hard Drives
- Where’d You Get Those? New York City’s Sneaker Culture: 1960-1987 Hardcover – September, 2003 (Bobbito’s Book)
- Emir Lewis Editor & producer (vimeo channel)
- Sneaker Kingpin Fat Joe & Bobbito Garcia On “Its The shoes”
- ’72 Hours’: Brooklyn Teen Caesar Winslow Has a Weekend to Settle His Affairs (Exclusive Video)
- Meet the Director: Raafi Rivero
- Raafi Rivero Director & Filmmaker
- Mariah Rehmet Editor
- Saboteur Media
- DJ Stretch Armstrong on the 5 ’90s NYC Clubs That Shaped Him By Jake Boyer
- DJ Rich Medina
- Earl Manigault American basketball player
- Ray Garcia
- Bill Garcia
- The University of Vermont
- Harvard University
- Francis Eugene Harper aka Hill Harper
- Stevie Crashes The Wonder-Full Party & Makes Music With DJ Spinna
- Wonder-Full part 1 – Stevie Wonder Party by Spinna & Bobbito
- Pharoahe Monch – “Still Standing” feat. Jill Scott Music Video
- ROCK RUBBER 45s title track produced by Bobbito García features guest appearances by 10-time Grammy Award winner Eddie Palmieri and 3-time Grammy Award winner Robert Glasper, as well as Latin Grammy Award winning violinist Mireya Ramos of the group Flor de Toloache and hip hop legend DJ Rob Swift on scratches.
- Rich Medina And Bobbito – The Connection Volume One (Modern Explorations In Afro-Beat And Afro Latin) 2009
- r2 Records
- Rich Medina & Bobbito, CONNECTED (album preview mix) on Soundcloud
- The Maysles Documentary Center
- Summer Stage (FREE EVENTS ALL SUMMER)
- DJ Cucumber Slice
- Claw Money New York-based graffiti writer turned fashion designer
- Coney Island High
- Pick Up Basketball
- Ray Diaz, the founder and director of the Nike Pro City League
- Be Polite Dancer
- Non Profits that you may donate to:
- Healing Soles, Inc.
- Samaritan’s Feet
- Hoops for Hope
- Hoops Africa
- The soundtrack of our lives
- I am going to go play ball but I sucked
- Not afraid to fail
- New Life
- Nuyorican Poets Cafe
- Bobbito Garcia’s Footwork Sneaker Store LES NYC
- 3rd Bass
- Def Jam
- MF Doom
- KMD Hip hop trio
- Pete Nice
- Hard 2 Obtain Long Island hip hop group
- Black Bastards Album
- Operation: Doomsday
We would love to hear your thoughts on the episode. Leave a comment on the Apple Podcast app and don’t forget to rate the show.
This episode is sponsored by Gorilla Coffee.